Skip to main content

Ward 30: Toronto-Danforth

You need an account and be a member of this ward group to receive email updates. You can still see all public ward updates and events.

The east end is home to many cycling enthusiasts and Ward 30 members are tapping into this energy. Goals include: to bring about positive change for commuter and recreational cyclists and to gather surveys about residents in the area.

Ward News

Ward30bikes - how to find us!
sylviaslaughter on Dec 17, 2014


- the place for updates on our ongoing projects, group events including upcoming meeitngs, ward 30 resources, etc


Your Ward30 co-captains (past and present) check this email address regularly.



Facebook Group (join):

Twitter: @Ward30Bikes:

Facebook Page:




Ward 30 Bikes - Monthly General Meeting
Vivien on Feb 20, 2014
20 February, 2014 - 19:00 - 21:00

Join Ward 30 Bikes for our Monthly General Meeting - TONIGHT!

Location: South Riverdale Community Health Centre, 955 Queen St. E. (just east of Carlaw on the south side)

Among other things - we are going to discuss how to get better infrastructure on the east side - this year - part of our Problems/Opportunities Mapping project:



Ward30Bikes Facebook group: (Minutes from the Jan 21, 2014, meeting can be found in the Files tab.)

Invitation to ward advocates: Thursday Feb 27, 6-8pm - What's New with Bikes and Schools
Kristin Schwartz on Feb 19, 2014

Greetings ward advocates - I coordinate the Bike to School Project with Cycle Toronto, CultureLink and our partners. Many times I've been asked by cycling advocates about how to "involve students" or "connect with schools".

To help answer this question, I've worked with Jared to organize an event on Thursday Feb 27 at CultureLink (Dundas West and Bloor). Our presenters are from neighbourhoods across Toronto. They will share stories about successful collaborations that advance cycling and we'll have time for breakout groups as well to plan and brainstorm in a more focused way. All the details are here:

and you can register here:

Hope to see some of you there!

Kristin Schwartz

P.S. I know it's the same date and time as the Argyle meeting - unfortunately we had booked this long before that meeting was publicly announced. Go Argyle contraflow! Did you know that students at Central Commerce Collegiate wrote letters and deputed for the Shaw Street contraflow lane? It all helps!

Bike Infrastructure BIG Talking Point at Public Consultation for Dundas/Carlaw Corridor Planning Study
Michael Holloway on Oct 25, 2013

There was lots of 'Bike Amenities' talk at last nights' initial "Dundas/Carlaw Corridor Study" Public Consultation. This Public Consultation was held at 326 Carlaw Avenue in their spacious, open, 3rd Floor Amenity Room.

Ward 30 Councillor, Paula Fletcher introduced the meeting by putting the study into context for everyone. She noted that this study is one of five area planning studies being undertaken right now by City Planners at her bidding - as Leslieville and South Riverdale and Riverside are experiencing a tremendous growth in the rate of development.

An over-view of the planning process and the history of recent planning in the area was then outlined by City of Toronto Planner, Heather Baron - who then set us to work at our facilitated working group sessions at five tables spaced around the large room.

Each table had 8 to 10 citizens along with a representative from one of the various City departments involved in the study - working as facilitators. Over 45 minutes we went through a list of items prepared by the organizers related to Councillor Fletchers' motion at Toronto and East York Community Council, and our opinions about Public Amenities in the study area.

The categories listed on the big discussion papers that organizers had placed on each table (along with a selection of maps, artists street-scape renderings, and documents from Planning) were so broad that they simply acted as a starting point for what people already had on their minds - but also worked as a guide so that we were all addressing basically the same issues.

("Public Amenities" I should note here, as far as I understand it in a Planning context, has a very broad meaning. Public Amenities are any tangible, or intangible thing about a public space that make life easier; more comfortable; nicer; more beautiful; more organized; more intuitive; more effective - for the people using it. In other words, stuff that Helps as opposed to Hinders the culture that we collectively are - and that we are becoming.)

I noted right away there was no mention of bicycles, bike lanes, bike parking or cycling as a transportation choice, anywhere in the documents or the introduction.

After after the facilitated round-table discussions - someone from each table presented their groups' notes to the entire meeting.

All five tables noted cycling issues in the study area. Cycling it seems, is an essential element in a discussion of quality of life in public spaces.

I was shocked - by the time the fifth table began reporting I was waiting for the cycling mention like one anticipates a hit late in a ball game. Then, Wham-o! Table five talked more than any other, about cycling issues!

After the reports were done people were encouraged to take the floor and say whatever they wanted. A conversation broke out that went on for some time. About what, you may wonder?

Bike parking of coarse!

The times they are-a-changing. It appears that there are a lot of people in the neighbourhood who are using their bikes on a very regular. The bike - and the amenities one needs to use a bicycle as a transportation mode - are apparently integral to this evolving neighbourhoods' life-style.

As a ward group representative for Cycle Torontos' "Ward 30 Bikes" at these meetings - I'll represent this point of view as this public consolation process continues with another Public Consultation meeting in January.

References: TIMMIS | Agenda Item History | Dundas/Carlaw Corridor Study |

Councillor Paula Fletcher web | Community Planning in Ward 30 - Carlaw Dundas Study |

N.B. The acoustics in that room made it very hard for some people to hear. Two other people mentioned it during the meeting. I, for example have frequency hearing loss in one ear that has the effect of turning reflecting acoustic waves into white noise. I had to step out of the room for most of the five-table facilitation process because the voices of all the people talking all at once bounced around for me, like light does in a fun-house of mirrors.


Minutes - Ward 30 Cycling Group Monthly Meeting - September 10, 2013
Michael Holloway on Oct 13, 2013

Minutes - Ward 30 Cycling Group, general monthly meeting

September 10, 2013

SRCHC - fourth floor roof-top garden room

7pm - 9pm


Present: Jo, Michael, Jim, Pat, Paul.



1) Ward 30 Bikes / SRCHC Bike Light Give-away Oct 1

2) Bike Lanes on Bloor/Danforth - Cycle Toronto Petition

3) Twitter Account

4) Group Name Survey Results

5) Accomplishments

6) Feedback Results

7) Bike Lanes discussion Eastern, Dundas, Bloor/Danforth

8) TTC Reconstruction of Leslie Street


Meeting Minutes September 10, 2013:

(Minutes taken by Michael)


1) Ward 30 Cycling Group / SRCHC Bike Light Give-away Oct 1

Paul talked about the roots of Health and Wellbeing Week and asked people to do outreach and come out to help if they could on October 1. We talked about adding a little note to the free bike lights that the SRCHC had bought for this. We decided on some copy for a card, about SRCHC, Health and Wellbeing Week, and Ward 30 Cycling Group. Talked about what type of lights. Paul said he would source and purchase them. We talked about where would be the best place to do the hand out and  mentioned having some volunteers further east along Dundas telling riders that there was a bike light give-away just ahead at Carlaw. A tent or a big banner to make the hand out site an obvious event.

ACTION: Pault to buy bike lights.

ACTION: Volunteers Needed - outreach on this



2) Bike Lanes on Bloor/Danforth - Cycle Toronto Petition

We talked about the Cycle Toronto Campaign to back up the Bloor Councillors request to Council to start a new EA for Bike Lanes on Bloor and for to expanded the scope of the EA to the include the Danforth - and a Pilot Project Bike Lane on Bloor. We decided to support the campaign with outreach on the FB page including a link to the Cycle Toronto Petition online, and upload any relevant documents there so people can get informed on the issue.

ACTION: Michael will upload docs and a link in the FB Group.



3) Twitter Account

Should we start a Blog? a Twitter Account?

We need to conclude the name search and then start these other media. Some discussion about what a Twitter account is good for, need for volunteers to manage the account. Michael said he would get a Twitter account going; and look into Blog options.

ACTION: Michael to set up Twitter Account. Investigate web-site or blog options.



4) Group Name Survey Results

Discussion: Jo said that ‘Complete Streets’ in inside jargon, should be part of a name -  is a phrase people probably don’t understand. Brandon talked about how his suggestions for a name were to try to reflect the neighbourhoods we serve, not the Ward - people aren’t even sure where what Ward they are in. Paul talked about how important ideas should be included in the name somehow. We looked at the several survey results we’ve done and noted that Ward 30 Bikes got the most votes.

Voted on the name “Ward 30 Bikes”. Carried unanimously. Some discussion about changing the name on the FB group - who is admin? Can we change the name? Michael said he would contact Emma and find out.

ACTION: Change name in public spaces we run - from ‘Ward 30 Cycling Group’ to “Ward 30 Bikes”

ACTION: Michael will contact Emma about name change on the FB group.



5) Accomplishments

  • Hosted the revival of a Ward 30 cycling advocacy group with the ‘East End Bike Summit’. 25 attended, including folks from several other east end advocacy groups, representative from CIP, Councillor Paula Fletcher...

  • Our Email list is growing (now 70)

  • Participated in the Withrow Park Farmers Market Outreach with W29Bikes folks (Michael)

  • Participated in the Leslieville Tree Festival with an outreach and tune up thingy 3 members present (Brandon, Michael Pat)

  • Represented Ward 30 Bikes at Cycle Toronto, Jones Branch Library outreach event. (Michael)

  • Did lots of outreach around the TTP speed bumps issue resulting in several letter to Park department and TRCA and City Council (Michael, Brandon, Paul)

  • Started several online spaces representing the new group (Emma, Michael)

  • We’ve held 5 monthly meetings - some very well attended, some not so much (minimum was four attending I believe - at our first meeting after the Summit, I believe we had 12 people out.- including a ‘mole’ as he called himself - from Parks. They wanted to get a handle on what we were up to with regards to their new co-management  with TRCA, of TTP - I think.)


6) Feedback Results

Action Opportunities:

  • Bike light Give away

  • Petition Signing Event for Bloor Danforth Bike Lane EA

  • Volunteer for Outreach events (bike maintenance / info)

  • We could organize local and not so local “Group Rides” (historical rides, like W29Bikes does)

  • We should organize some kind of ‘sustainable transportation’ education event.

  • Attend the Cycle Toronto Skills Swap

  • Do Bike Maintenance / Info Events with the Good Food Markets group.



7) Bike Lanes discussion Eastern, Dundas, Bloor/Danforth

We had a discussion relevant to our Problems / Opportunities feedback process

Dundas Street Bike Lane Separation was discussed. - vs focusing on getting more painted-on Bike Lanes on more streets.

Michael made an argument that reflected CIP’s view of the broad East / West picture: Dundas separated Bike Lanes to connect to Sherbourne separated Bike Lanes (connecting to the core East West study in progress). With MGT and LDRT to the south, Dundas through the centre, and Danforth across the north. He asked what eveyone thought of this vision - do members suppot this iconcept - would folks work for a lobby in this diection?

Much discussion ensued. Several people thought that making sure Eastern Avenue Bike Lanes remain - and are expanded east and west - was very important.

Jo brought up the idea of focusing on getting school children safe infrastructure so they could ride their bikes to school. Jo thought that existing routes are dangerous despite paint.

Paul talked about a success he had at a local community public consultation with Councillor Fletcher to address the dangers around Pape Avenue Public School, and the neck-downs that are being installed on Pape as a result.

Pat talked about finding a way to get lower intensity on our local streets through narrower traffic lanes and separated bicycle infra..

Jim thought that a lot of the already in place infra. needed sprucing up with new paint and sighted several examples from the area where painted bike lane marking were fading almost to nothing. He mentioned Greenwood, Jones and Eastern.

Paul worried that there might be a move a-foot to take out the Dundas Bike Lanes and suggested we lobby to get them separated so they become harder to remove - more investment in cycling will ‘ensconce’ the route. Talked about the design of a separated Dundas Bike Lane - with parking spots on the traffic side of the lane, to make it safer as far a dooring issues.

Generally I think, the meeting decided to come back to the issue at a later date.



8) TTC Reconstruction of Leslie Street

Jo talked about a TTC community liaison Walk-about of the infrastructure that has been installed to reroute cyclists and cars through the construction - and especially solutions across the MGT. Jo (I think) reported that the TTC liaison person was surprised to see the volume of cyclists on the MGT crossing the construction zone.

Was noted that the high quality of the infrastructure in place in the construction zone for bicycles (as of this meeting) was a direct result of the on-going public consultation process that the TTC has enabled for this project.



Next Meeting was set for October 15th - at SRCHC 7pm fourth floor meeting room.

Adjourned at 9:15 pm.



@Ward30Bikes New Twitter Account For Ward30Bikes is Active!
Michael Holloway on Oct 12, 2013

UPDATE 2013-10-18: @Ward30Bikes is back up.

Then we got suspended. :\ 

Should be back up soon (I believe we got caught in a Twitter spam-filter - for Following too many, too quickly. ?)


We've also just put up a Facebook Page (different from the "Group" space): 


The FB Page will evolve, over some short time, into the new 'Face' of the organization in Facebook:



Google Map: Boundaries of Ward 30: Toronto-Danforth
Michael Holloway on Oct 3, 2013

(because 's maps are useless)

(Click here or on the image, to view Ward 30: Toronto-Danforth in a larger map - opens in new tab/window)

I've copied the KML file of an existing Ward 30: Toronto-Danforth boundary map and created a new map address for this Wards' blog. This is to ensure the map is always available, so I can make other ward advocay members co-creators, and so I could change the boundary line colour from yellow (image) to blue (see the link) --- which is a lot earier to see against the background of a Google map. imho.

Image and original KML file is from a Google Map,
created on Sep 2, 2010 · By Victoria ·
Ward 30 - Toronto Danforth
The boundaries of Ward 30 - Toronto Danforth



[CycleToroto webmaster - please adjust spam filters so Ward bloggers can embed content (maps. video) on their blogs. Thanks! :)]

Michael Holloway on Sep 21, 2013

TRCA Public Meeting:

"Trails Management at Tommy Thompson Park"
Thursday September 26, 2013
City Hall, Committee Room 1
7pm - 9pm


Toronto Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) TTP Event Poster Text:


Please join us to review and discuss current issues and the
future direction of trails at Tommy Thompson Park (Leslie
Street Spit).
-Speed concerns
-Wildlife concerns
-Park user feedback

WHEN: Thursday September 26, 2013
6:30-7:00pm – Open House
7:00-9:00pm – Presentations and Discussion

WHERE: City Hall, Committee Room 1
100 Queen Street West

Questions? Please contact 416-661-6600 ext. 5603

Please Share.
Image is a reproduction of "TTP trails mgmt public meeting notice Sept 2013.pdf"

Text via Original html version of TRCA Event Poster

Ward 30 Cycling Group Monthly Meeting - September
Michael Holloway on Sep 5, 2013

Hi All,

Our next Ward 30 bike advocacy group monthly meeting is on Tuesday, September 10, 7:00 pm at the South Riverdale Community Health Centre (955 Queen St. E. near Carlaw).

For more info see the September issue of "WARD 30 CYCLING NEWS" - out Now!


Michael Holloway


"CycleTO Ward 30 Cycling Group: Problems/Opportunities" Google MAP
Michael Holloway on Jun 26, 2013

June 26, 2013

As per our June 25th, Ward 30 Cycling Group Meeting where we looked over a map of Ward 30 and then stuck 'stick-it notes' to the map where we thought there was a cycling infrastructure problem/opportunity.

Google MAP: "CycleTO Ward 30 Cycling Group: Problems/Opportunities" -

[This content management system won't allow embeds, apparently - link is below]

View CycleTO Ward 30 Cycling Group: Problems/Opportunities in a larger map

I left it open to the public - anyone may edit - but you need a Google Account to do so.

Please follow the instructions in the first (purple) placemark. :)

To keep it simple, I made it so people may add up to 3 'Problems/Opportunities' placemarks (BLUE) to the map - PLUS - vote ONCE, by adding one, RED Vote placemark.

Leave your RED Vote placemark near to the Problems/Opportunity marker you chose.

(At the meeting we discussed 3 votes - If people want, add a RED (most important), YELLOW or GREEN (least important) vote placemark.

Michael Holloway


Originally posted on the Ward 30 Cycling Group Facebook page:

And at: SoDa Google Group:!topic/soda-bikes/2UXqlRb4kPI


Group Info

Search by Address

E.g., 2976 Don Mills Rd W

Sign up or Log in