Hi Ward 19!
Mid-winter, we've been invited to a series of meetings with Councillor Layton to try and make some progress on some old (and new) barriers to cycling in Ward 19. Just wanted to keep you in the loop about what we're discussing.
Especially important is Argyle door-to-door to chat with our neighbors about why they should consider supporting (or at least not actively opposing) a contraflow east-west link. A few parking spots will be removed, which is always a point of concern. Anyone interested in coming out to volunteer, please get in touch - firstname.lastname@example.org
Next meeting Feburary 10th, 6:30pm @ Butlers Pantry. Hope to see you there!
************* MINUTES ***********
January 27th 2014 meeting with Mike Layton
Cllr. Layton, Michal Hay, Kevin Cooper, Melissa Goldstein, Antony Hilliard, Jared Kolb
1) Status of Trinity Bellwoods path improvement funding? Can we help advocate?
History: Deal brokered between Friends of Trinity-Bellwoods Park (FTBP) and local cycling advocates for diagonal link between circle path and Argyle St.
City Trans. reallocated funding because "path was too narrow" to count from transportation budget.
Deal was not perfect - FTBP members somewhat upset by more paving, anything that encourages higher speeds.
Will be difficult to resurrect. Maybe can be bundled with park path drainage improvements?
Suggestions for W19:
- Join Trinity Bellwoods Community Association (TBCA) and float the idea
- Turn out to FTBP meetings, be nice: Saturday, March 01, 2014, 01:00pm - 03:00pm
- Help with FTBP park clean-ups, be nice
- Run a table at the Farmers' Market, maybe engage on cycling politeness... make some guerilla, funny, friendly 'slow down' signage?
2) Strachan and Lakeshore connection - David Dunn responsible, "Design and Installation in 2013?"
- Antony to contact David Dunn at 416-392-8985 or by email. More letters from constituents = more priority.
3) Advice for proposing amendments to Chapter 743 Municipal Code for construction standards (post-and-ring removal notice, bike lane accommodation?)
- Angela Surdi has addressed this at a working group
- Board of Health has a construction standards amendment in consideration with staff.
- Mike Layton to consider adding some bike-related amendments for staff to consider at PWIC Feb 25th. But what to propose?
a) 24 / 48h posted notice on ring-and-posts before removal?
- Something similar to old parking meter hoods?
b) Standards for bicycle thoroughfare when blocking curb / bicycle lanes?
c) Touch on the Bike Plan?
- Also, there was a proposal for a pilot streetcar track pavement marking? Has it been forgotten?
4) Introduction to TPS Parking Services regarding our plan to run a bike lane no-stopping campaign?
- Ward 28 met local Parking Enforcement, with good results. Antony has contacted Paul Moir.
- Maybe some kind of fake 'tickets' campaign? Yellow stickynotes?
- Try to phrase it so it's as friendly and non-passive-aggressive as possible. "Hope you don't get a $150 ticket..."
- Would there be someone with good design skills / sense? Spacing magazine?
5) Contra-flow campaign - Shaw, Argyle, and our proposed small connectors?
- Bram (a great fellow, policy wonk) is working on the Provincial bike policy. Some progress likely.
- Unlikely to get re-designation options for 'woonerf' roads provincially anytime soon, though.
- Palmerston worth surveying quickly to see if it's wide enough.
- Argyle will need support, knocking door-to-door as "neighbors" (especially Portuguese-speaking).
- Antony has contacted Ward 18 to work together.
- Will try to adapt Ward 32's contraflow 'talking points' list.
- e.g. "You'll know where the bikers are, rather than them being all over the road"
- To Do: Go to Ossington Community Association, TBCA, Beaconsfield, Gibbons Shaw meetings, chat it up.
6) Election 2014 - Anything Ward 19 Cycle Toronto could help with?
- Contraflow lane door-to-doors!