Skip to main content

Ward 19: Trinity-Spadina

You need an account and be a member of this ward group to receive email updates. You can still see all public ward updates and events.

Ward 19 is just west of downtown and includes Queen West, Little Portugal, Trinity-Bellwoods Park and more, down to the lake.

We meet as a group at least once a month to take action on cycling issues in our Ward.

This page is kept up to date with event notices and meeting minutes.  Email us at ward19@cycleto.ca to find out how to get more involved, follow us on Twitter, and visit our Facebook page.

Ride on!

Ward News

Argyle Florence Contra-Flow Public Meeting
anthill on Feb 18, 2014
27 February, 2014 - 18:00 - 20:00

Hi Ward 18,19,20,

Contra-flow lanes on Argyle need one last push.

If you live in the High Park - Trinity-Bellwoods corridor and want a safe, effective alternative to the streetcar-track-car-door conditions on Queen and Dundas, now is the (hopefully final) time to come out and support side street contraflow lanes.

Councillors Bailao and Layton have called another public meeting for next Thursday (27th).  Please come out and show your support.  Car parking will, as always, be the source of most concerns.

See the attached flyer.  Hope to see you at Alexander Muir / Gladstone public school!

-Antony Hilliard

Ward 19 Captain

Monday Night Meeting, 10th February 6:30pm
anthill on Feb 6, 2014
10 February, 2014 - 18:30

Hi Ward 19!

Hope you are all doing well in the winter.  Lots on the go as spring approaches. Our meeting this month is at the same place, since everyone seems to be enjoying it:

Monday Feb 10th

6:30pm

Butlers' Pantry Restaurant (just southwest of Honest Eds)

An agenda we could discuss:

* Last month's meeting with Mike Layton: Contraflow, Construction, etc.

* Our "No Stopping" in bike lanes campaign - how to run?  Fake tickets?

* Our "More Contraflow" campaign - Is Palmerston an option?  What to propose to Mike?

* "Bike with Mike" event May 25th.  What to do? Partner with Chocosol?

* More?

Post a comment with extra ideas for topics to discuss.  Looking forward to seeing you there,

-Antony

Meeting with Mike Layton!
anthill on Jan 30, 2014

Hi Ward 19!

Mid-winter, we've been invited to a series of meetings with Councillor Layton to try and make some progress on some old (and new) barriers to cycling in Ward 19.  Just wanted to keep you in the loop about what we're discussing.

Especially important is Argyle door-to-door to chat with our neighbors about why they should consider supporting (or at least not actively opposing) a contraflow east-west link.  A few parking spots will be removed, which is always a point of concern.  Anyone interested in coming out to volunteer, please get in touch - ward19@cycleto.ca

Next meeting Feburary 10th, 6:30pm @ Butlers Pantry.  Hope to see you there!

-Antony

 

************* MINUTES ***********

January 27th 2014 meeting with Mike Layton

Cllr. Layton, Michal Hay, Kevin Cooper, Melissa Goldstein, Antony Hilliard, Jared Kolb

1)  Status of Trinity Bellwoods path improvement funding?  Can we help advocate?

History: Deal brokered between Friends of Trinity-Bellwoods Park (FTBP) and local cycling advocates for diagonal link between circle path and Argyle St.

City Trans. reallocated funding because "path was too narrow" to count from transportation budget.

Deal was not perfect - FTBP members somewhat upset by more paving, anything that encourages higher speeds.

Will be difficult to resurrect.  Maybe can be bundled with park path drainage improvements?

Suggestions for W19:
 - Join Trinity Bellwoods Community Association (TBCA) and float the idea
 - Turn out to FTBP meetings, be nice: Saturday, March 01, 2014, 01:00pm - 03:00pm
 - Help with FTBP park clean-ups, be nice
 - Run a table at the Farmers' Market, maybe engage on cycling politeness... make some guerilla, funny, friendly 'slow down' signage?

 
2)  Strachan and Lakeshore connection - David Dunn responsible, "Design and Installation in 2013?"

- Antony to contact David Dunn at 416-392-8985 or by email.  More letters from constituents = more priority.

3) Advice for proposing amendments to Chapter 743 Municipal Code for construction standards (post-and-ring removal notice, bike lane accommodation?)

 - Angela Surdi has addressed this at a working group
 - Board of Health has a construction standards amendment in consideration with staff.
 - Mike Layton to consider adding some bike-related amendments for staff to consider at PWIC Feb 25th.  But what to propose?
 
 a) 24 / 48h posted notice on ring-and-posts before removal?
    - Something similar to old parking meter hoods?
 b) Standards for bicycle thoroughfare when blocking curb / bicycle lanes?
 c) Touch on the Bike Plan?
 
 - Also, there was a proposal for a pilot streetcar track pavement marking?  Has it been forgotten?

4) Introduction to TPS Parking Services regarding our plan to run a bike lane no-stopping campaign?

 - Ward 28 met local Parking Enforcement, with good results.  Antony has contacted Paul Moir.
 - Maybe some kind of fake 'tickets' campaign?  Yellow stickynotes?
 - Try to phrase it so it's as friendly and non-passive-aggressive as possible.  "Hope you don't get a $150 ticket..."
 - Would there be someone with good design skills / sense?  Spacing magazine?
 
 
5) Contra-flow campaign - Shaw, Argyle, and our proposed small connectors?

 - Bram (a great fellow, policy wonk) is working on the Provincial bike policy.  Some progress likely.
 - Unlikely to get re-designation options for 'woonerf' roads provincially anytime soon, though.
 
 - Palmerston worth surveying quickly to see if it's wide enough.
 
 - Argyle will need support, knocking door-to-door as "neighbors" (especially Portuguese-speaking).
 - Antony has contacted Ward 18 to work together. 
 - Will try to adapt Ward 32's contraflow 'talking points' list.
   - e.g. "You'll know where the bikers are, rather than them being all over the road"
 - To Do: Go to Ossington Community Association, TBCA, Beaconsfield, Gibbons Shaw meetings, chat it up.

6) Election 2014 - Anything Ward 19 Cycle Toronto could help with?
 - Contraflow lane door-to-doors!

Permalink
Volunteers to Marshal for Coldest Day of the Year Ride?
anthill on Jan 18, 2014
1 February, 2014 - 13:14 - 16:16

Would anyone like to volunteer to help Marshall at this year's Coldest Day of the Year ride?

Details of the event here:

http://cycleto.ca/event/2014/01/17/coldest-day-year-ride

Siva is organizing ride marshalls, who will be responsible for riding along the outside of the group and managing intersections. We will have a police presence to also help with that.

Send an email to me or siva.v , or message us on Twitter @CycleToronto

Thanks!

-Antony

Permalink
Meeting coming up! Monday the 13th at Butlers' Pantry, 6:30pm
anthill on Jan 8, 2014
13 January, 2014 - 18:30 - 20:30

Hello, Ward 19!

Just a reminder that our monthly meeting is coming up this Monday.  We're returning to the Butlers' Pantry as we agreed it had the best mix of beer, food, seating, and not-too-loud atmosphere.  It's in Mirvish Village, just south of Honest Ed's.

I'll post the agenda soon - the main focus will be on planning our Contraflow and bike-lane-blocking campaigns for this year.

Newcomers always welcome!

Cheers,

-Antony

Meeting 6:30, Monday Dec 2nd - Maps and 2014 planning!
anthill on Nov 28, 2013
2 December, 2013 - 18:30 - 20:30

Hi everyone,

Last night's TCAT workshop went well, thanks to Kevin for doing the flyer design and Eric for helping set up.

This time we're trying a new location, courtesy of Connor: The Victory Cafe's private room (snug).

 

6:30pm - 8:30ish

Victory Cafe

581 Markham St. (just southwest of Bloor/Bathurst)

http://victorycafe.ca/

 

On the Agenda (please send in or post comments to add more items!)

1) Review 2013 cycle map to suggest improvements for 2014 (city-run)

2) Consider a ward letter on West Queen West Transportation Study?

3) Consider a ward letter on Richmond-Adelaide consultation?

4) Opinions / Feedback on Shaw contraflow?

5) Engagement with Argyle contraflow campaign? (Kevin?)

6) Prioritize and pick from the preferred list of 2014 campaigns?

Top voted projects to discuss at next meeting:

7: Campaign for side street contraflow bike lanes: Howland Ave., Palmerston Ave. (NB at Bloor)
5: Truck Side Guards collaboration with Safe Trucks Canada.
 - James volunteers at Foodshare, where they have secured funding to equip their delivery trucks with sideguards
 - They're willing to make a bit of a media event and campaign out of the announcement.
4: Park bike infrastructure e.g. Trinity Bellwoods Routes
4: Delivery truck bike lane parking campaign
3: School bicycle campaigns: Bike-to-school Infrastructure & Programs, Riding Education for students, reducing car dropoff/pickup hazards.
3: General campaigning for safe, direct connected bicycle infrastructure (e.g. Richmond-Adelaide & extensions west)

Others not from openhouse and not (yet) voted on:

- Knowledge Base to support volunteers (similar to what Mo is doing for CT?)
 - RA / BIA contact info?
 
- CicTOvia liason / support for their campaign for a de-motorized street festival

- Better Construction Regulations / Contracts to accomodate bicycling and stop:
 - Unannounced Post-and-ring removal with bikes attached
 - Barricaded lanes with no accomodation
 - Un-protected ruts, cutouts
 - Neglected Post-and-ring replacement

- Cross Street light timing improvement for walking / cycling
 - Follow Vancouver model?
 - Advantage: common pet peeve, technical enough to avoid political footballery

TCAT "Walk Cycle Move" Workshop in the Annex
anthill on Nov 6, 2013
27 November, 2013 - 18:30 - 21:30

Cycle Toronto and TCAT have partnered to run a workshop for Bloor Annex (and Christie) residents,  business leaders, and anyone else interested in a more walkable, bikable neighborhood. It's an opportunity to build community vision around a Bloor bike lane pilot.

As Ward 19 (and 20) we have a role to play in inviting key stakeholders, and helping to support the event.

Please distribute the invitation widely - there is a PDF linked from this web version:

http://tcat.ca/WalkCycleMove_theAnnex

A flyer / handbill version will be ready soon.

 

We need to extend this invitation to:

Councillors (Ryan already done ?)

Bloordale BIA ( Charles to do?)

Koreatown BIA ( David to do? )

Bloor BIA ( Ryan already done ? )

Bloor Annex RA ( Antony to ask Albert Koehl )

Harbord RA ( Antony to do )

Christie Pits RA  ( ??? Anyone ??? )

Parent-Teacher Associations: Central Tech, Harbord Collegiate ( ??? Anyone ??? )

University of Toronto ( ??? )

 

If you can help with distributing this invitation, please do, and let us know who you're contacting.

Thanks!

-Antony

 

Cycle Toronto Separated Bike Lanes Planning Group Meeting Oct 28 - Notes
dgsimmons on Nov 1, 2013

I sat in on the Cycle Toronto planning group meeting to discuss the Richmond/Adelaide/Harbord separated bike lanes on Monday, Oct 28. The meeting reviewed updates and next steps.

Richmond/Adelaide

  • A stakeholder meeting has been scheduled for next week. Herb might attend it.
  • City Council will decide in early 2014
  • There was discussion on supporting North/South bike lane connections between Richmond and Adelaide. Simcoe and Peter Streets are considered the best choices. Simcoe also goes all the way down to the lake, but would need a counterflow lane.
  • Plans to develop a petition by mid-November to be presented to City Council, and also to post an online presentation on the benefits of separated bike lanes on Richmond/Adelaide.

Harbord

  • The Love-In at Harbord Bakery got approx 30 people (it was a rainy day)
  • Antony, Jared and walked the route with Adam Vaughan. Vaughan said that uni-directional is off the table, takes up too much parking. Mike Layton is supporting the bi-directional proposal.
  • The local BIA is felt to be on-the-fence about the separate bike lane, and is waiting for the traffic study, which is due in Feb 2014. Then, it will go to Council.
  • Herb offered to check with Harbord Bakery to see if their opposing petition is still up, and try to work with them to be clear about their position
  • Brainstorming how Ward 19 could help: approach businesses, BIAs, resident associations?

I’ll try to make the Ward 19 meeting this coming Monday.

David Simmons

Ward 19 / 20 Group Meeting
anthill on Oct 31, 2013
4 November, 2013 - 18:30 - 20:30

Hi Ward 19 & 20ers,

Following the great discussion at October's Open House, we're continuing our 'first monday of the month' regular meetings. Unfortunately due to a special event, we can't meet in the CSI Annex Bathurst as usual. Instead, looking forward to seeing you at:

Monday Nov. 4th, 6:30pm

"Butler's Pantry", 591 Markham St. (just south of Honest Ed's)

Preliminary Agenda:

  • Update on Argyle consultation and need for support
  • Update on Bloor-Dupont EA and Bells on Bloor's pilot push
  • Update from guest Kristin Shwartz on TDSB school bike clubs at Central
    Commerce and Harbord CI, possible connection to our ward group?
  • Update from guest Ryan Whitney of TCAT on Nov.27th Bloor Visioning Workshop?
  • Finalize Herb van den Dool's transfer of Ward Captain
  • Review list of project ideas from Open House
  • Prioritize a handful of projects we're most interested in doing next
    year?

All welcome, hope to see you there,

-Antony

Ward 19/20 Open House! Oct 7, 6:30pm
herb on Sep 24, 2013
7 October, 2013 - 18:30 - 20:30

Are you a cyclist?
Do you live in Ward 19?
Do you want to help make our city and our ward better for cyclists?

Then join us at the Ward 19 Cycle Toronto Open House! 

Monday, October 7th
6:30pm-9pm
CSI Annex: 720 Bathurst St.
3rd floor, Room #4

Meet others in your neighbourhood interested in cycling issues.
Learn about what's happening in our ward and across the city.
Find out how you can help make a difference!

Refreshments will be provided.

We are 'Ward 19 Cycle TO' and we represent Cycle Toronto in Trinity Bellwoods (from Dovercourt to Bathurst, Dupont to the lake) and set local priorities for safer cycling. We then work with local BIAs, Residents Associations, and, of course, City Councillor Mike Layton, to find solutions. 
 
Come celebrate some recent cycling victories including:

  • Much more bike parking along Queen Street from Gladstone to Manning
  • Harbord Protected Bike Lanes plan
  • Support from BIA's and other local groups for Richmond-Adelaide Separated Bike Lanes, and BIXI Expansion

...and more!
 
Please email ward19@cycleto.ca if you have any questions. We hope you can make it, and look forward to meeting some more local cyclists!
 
Thanks and Happy Cycling,

Herb van den Dool & Antony Hilliard
Co-Captains

Group Info

Search by Address

E.g., 2976 Don Mills Rd W

Sign up or Log in

bicycle