Skip to main content

Ward 19: Trinity-Spadina

You need an account and be a member of this ward group to receive email updates. You can still see all public ward updates and events.

Ward 19 is just west of downtown and includes Queen West, Little Portugal, Trinity-Bellwoods Park and more, down to the lake.

We meet as a group at least once a month to take action on cycling issues in our Ward.

This page is kept up to date with event notices and meeting minutes.  Email us at ward19@cycleto.ca to find out how to get more involved, follow us on Twitter, and visit our Facebook page.

Ride on!

Ward News

Ward 19 / 20 Joint Meeting Monday
anthill on Apr 2, 2014
7 April, 2014 - 18:30 - 21:00

Hi Ward 19,

So we thought we'd catch up with our neighbours in Ward 20 - as springtime activities approach, we have a lot of opportunities to work together.

Time: 6:30pm, Monday April 7th  (Ward 20 to arrive at 7pm)

Place: Victory Cafe, 581 Markham St.

We'll try to get "The nook" room reserved so there'll be quiet and room for all of us.

In the first half hour, we can try to get through an item or two of interest to Ward 19 only.  Then we'll move on to collaborative business.

- Ward 19 Communications Strategy:  We have a Twitter account, and a Google Drive, and Google Calendar, plus our existing Facebook.  Now how to coordinate & delegate?

Some items that could be on the 19/20 agenda:

  1. Bike with Mike:  Can we run a tricycle race?  Antony has asked daycares about trikes.  Anyone have any leads?  Gallant Bicycles guy will attend.  Sam James invited.
  2. Argyle Contraflow Door-to-Door: Kevin to update.  Call for volunteers.
  3. Old Bike Post-and-Ring tag and social media campaign (requested by Layton).  Which street to do?
  4. No Stopping Campaign.  If we agree on the vision & format, need to divide up tasks.
  5. Anyone want to take the lead on Bike Month events? How could we support?
  6. Dovercourt Community Audit April 28th - anyone willing to help residents survey bike needs?
  7. More?
Harbord St. New City Consultation
anthill on Mar 27, 2014
27 March, 2014 - 16:00 - 20:00

Hi Ward 19/20:

The City has revised their proposed Harbord St. bikeway design, and there's a lot of changes.

Instead of protected bi-directional cycle tracks, the City is now proposing standard painted uni-directional bike lanes, with parked-car protection where the street is wider.

Learn more here

The new proposal is a clear improvement over the door-zone sharrows on Harbord today. It would set precedents for narrower car lanes on future bikeway projects.  And it will avoid the intersection conflicts that a bi-direcitonal path would risk. But it will not be the protected bike lanes that Council called for.

Come out to the consultation this evening and see for yourself:

Thursday, March 27, 2014
4 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Kensington Gardens, 45 Brunswick Ave.
North Building, Multi-Purpose Room

-Antony

Permalink
Contra Flow 4 - Richmond St. Extension west of Bathurst!
anthill on Mar 12, 2014
18 March, 2014 - 16:00 - 21:00

See below for yet another public consultation from the City, next Tuesday March 18th.

 

This proposal is a little "extra" that Councillor Mike Layton and Christina Bouchard at Transportation Services have been working on. It will complement the Richmond-Adelaide bikeways.

Have a look, and consider if we should ask for accommodation on Adelaide St. west of Bathurst as well, possibly around the north side of Portugal Square?

Cheers, hope to see you there!

-Anton

Contra-flow Bike Lane on Richmond St., west of Bathurst St and Southbound Bike Lane on Bathurst St. between Richmond St. & Adelaide St.

The City of Toronto is proposing to install two new bike lane connections in the Richmond and Bathurst area:

Richmond Street:
A contra-flow bicycle lane west of Bathurst Street, to allow cyclists to legally travel in both directions, while maintaining one-way only for motorists
Bathurst Street:
A bicycle lane between Richmond Street and Adelaide Street, to allow eastbound cyclists to connect from Richmond Street to Adelaide Street

We invite you to join us at a public drop-in event, where you can view information materials and speak with the project team. Details are as follows:

Tuesday, March 18, 2014. 4 to 9 p.m.
Artscape Youngplace, 180 Shaw Street

Ward Meeting Monday!
anthill on Mar 5, 2014
10 March, 2014 - 18:30 - 20:30

It's time for our ward meeting, 2nd Monday of the month, same time & place:

 

Monday March 10th

6:30pm-8:30ish

Butler's Pantry restaurant (591 Markham St, south of Honest Ed's)

 

There's so much going on it's hard to narrow down an agenda - please comment and send in your own items!  Some things:

 

1) (More) Contraflow projects:

 - Argyle proposal east of Ossington is poor - contraflow lane disappears.  Propose some solutions fast!  Mike Layton suggests going door-to-door.

 - Stephanie proposal - out of our ward, but how to pressure city to get a proper Simcoe and Peter connection south to Richmond-Adelaide and the waterfront?

 - Richmond St. West of Bathurst - new consultation coming up on the 18th (?)

 - Palmerston possible north of Queen (mostly!)

2) Bike Lane no-Parking project:

 - Feedback from Community Relations Officer meeting on effective tactics

 - collaborate with Ward 20?

3) Winter snow removal - how to improve?

4) Construction standards - update from Mike Layton on some progress

5) Bike Month events - any ideas?

 - "Bike with Mike" event May 25th - should we run a bike wash? tricycle race? let's pick a fun idea.

 - Community Environment Day May 22nd in Fred Hamilton park - should we book a table?

Contraflow #3 - Lindsey Ave & Havelock St. Tuesday 4th!
anthill on Feb 25, 2014
4 March, 2014 - 18:00 - 20:00

Contraflow Consultation Part 3: Lindsey and Havelock St.!

Just south of Dufferin Grove Park, they're a link in the best available east-west connection between the Railpath and Harbord St. Adding a contraflow lane would allow two-way bicycle traffic while maintaining traffic calming for local residents.

More information here

Date: Tuesday March 4th, 2014
Time: 6 to 8 p.m.
Location: New Horizons Tower – Auditorium
1140 Bloor Street West

Once again, it's crucial to have a good showing of cyclists at the meeting. We need at least 2 people, so if you're available to attend, please email ward19@cycleto.ca so we can be sure to have representatives.

Cheers, can you tell it's an election year?

-Antony

Contraflow #2 - Phoebe, Stephanie, Soho Public Consultation Thursday 6th!
anthill on Feb 25, 2014
5 March, 2014 - 16:00 - 21:00

Hi Ward 19, it's Contraflow Consultation week! On top of the Argyle Contraflow meeting this Thursday, there's two more public consultations happening next week that need your support!

First up: Phoebe, Stephanie and Soho, side streets just north of Queen St. that connect McCaul, John, Beverly and Spadina Ave.

Date: Thursday, March 6

Time: 4 to 9 p.m.

Location: Alexandra Park Community Centre, 105 Grange Crt. (follow Grange Ave. west of Spadina Ave.)

More details here

It's crucial that we have a good showing of cyclists at the meeting to show public support for side-street connections in the downtown West End.

We need at least 2 people, so if you're available to attend, please email ward19@cycleto.ca so we can be sure to have representatives.

Cheers, part 2 coming,

-Antony

Invitation to ward advocates: Thursday Feb 27, 6-8pm - What's New with Bikes and Schools
Kristin Schwartz on Feb 19, 2014

Greetings ward advocates - I coordinate the Bike to School Project with Cycle Toronto, CultureLink and our partners. Many times I've been asked by cycling advocates about how to "involve students" or "connect with schools".

To help answer this question, I've worked with Jared to organize an event on Thursday Feb 27 at CultureLink (Dundas West and Bloor). Our presenters are from neighbourhoods across Toronto. They will share stories about successful collaborations that advance cycling and we'll have time for breakout groups as well to plan and brainstorm in a more focused way. All the details are here:

http://cycleto.ca/event/2014/01/17/whats-new-bikes-and-schools

and you can register here: http://www.eventbrite.ca/e/whats-new-with-bikes-and-schools-in-toronto-registration-10426992415

Hope to see some of you there!

Kristin Schwartz

P.S. I know it's the same date and time as the Argyle meeting - unfortunately we had booked this long before that meeting was publicly announced. Go Argyle contraflow! Did you know that students at Central Commerce Collegiate wrote letters and deputed for the Shaw Street contraflow lane? It all helps!

Permalink
Argyle Florence Contra-Flow Public Meeting
anthill on Feb 18, 2014
27 February, 2014 - 18:00 - 20:00

Hi Ward 18,19,20,

Contra-flow lanes on Argyle need one last push.

If you live in the High Park - Trinity-Bellwoods corridor and want a safe, effective alternative to the streetcar-track-car-door conditions on Queen and Dundas, now is the (hopefully final) time to come out and support side street contraflow lanes.

Councillors Bailao and Layton have called another public meeting for next Thursday (27th).  Please come out and show your support.  Car parking will, as always, be the source of most concerns.

See the attached flyer.  Hope to see you at Alexander Muir / Gladstone public school!

-Antony Hilliard

Ward 19 Captain

Monday Night Meeting, 10th February 6:30pm
anthill on Feb 6, 2014
10 February, 2014 - 18:30

Hi Ward 19!

Hope you are all doing well in the winter.  Lots on the go as spring approaches. Our meeting this month is at the same place, since everyone seems to be enjoying it:

Monday Feb 10th

6:30pm

Butlers' Pantry Restaurant (just southwest of Honest Eds)

An agenda we could discuss:

* Last month's meeting with Mike Layton: Contraflow, Construction, etc.

* Our "No Stopping" in bike lanes campaign - how to run?  Fake tickets?

* Our "More Contraflow" campaign - Is Palmerston an option?  What to propose to Mike?

* "Bike with Mike" event May 25th.  What to do? Partner with Chocosol?

* More?

Post a comment with extra ideas for topics to discuss.  Looking forward to seeing you there,

-Antony

Meeting with Mike Layton!
anthill on Jan 30, 2014

Hi Ward 19!

Mid-winter, we've been invited to a series of meetings with Councillor Layton to try and make some progress on some old (and new) barriers to cycling in Ward 19.  Just wanted to keep you in the loop about what we're discussing.

Especially important is Argyle door-to-door to chat with our neighbors about why they should consider supporting (or at least not actively opposing) a contraflow east-west link.  A few parking spots will be removed, which is always a point of concern.  Anyone interested in coming out to volunteer, please get in touch - ward19@cycleto.ca

Next meeting Feburary 10th, 6:30pm @ Butlers Pantry.  Hope to see you there!

-Antony

 

************* MINUTES ***********

January 27th 2014 meeting with Mike Layton

Cllr. Layton, Michal Hay, Kevin Cooper, Melissa Goldstein, Antony Hilliard, Jared Kolb

1)  Status of Trinity Bellwoods path improvement funding?  Can we help advocate?

History: Deal brokered between Friends of Trinity-Bellwoods Park (FTBP) and local cycling advocates for diagonal link between circle path and Argyle St.

City Trans. reallocated funding because "path was too narrow" to count from transportation budget.

Deal was not perfect - FTBP members somewhat upset by more paving, anything that encourages higher speeds.

Will be difficult to resurrect.  Maybe can be bundled with park path drainage improvements?

Suggestions for W19:
 - Join Trinity Bellwoods Community Association (TBCA) and float the idea
 - Turn out to FTBP meetings, be nice: Saturday, March 01, 2014, 01:00pm - 03:00pm
 - Help with FTBP park clean-ups, be nice
 - Run a table at the Farmers' Market, maybe engage on cycling politeness... make some guerilla, funny, friendly 'slow down' signage?

 
2)  Strachan and Lakeshore connection - David Dunn responsible, "Design and Installation in 2013?"

- Antony to contact David Dunn at 416-392-8985 or by email.  More letters from constituents = more priority.

3) Advice for proposing amendments to Chapter 743 Municipal Code for construction standards (post-and-ring removal notice, bike lane accommodation?)

 - Angela Surdi has addressed this at a working group
 - Board of Health has a construction standards amendment in consideration with staff.
 - Mike Layton to consider adding some bike-related amendments for staff to consider at PWIC Feb 25th.  But what to propose?
 
 a) 24 / 48h posted notice on ring-and-posts before removal?
    - Something similar to old parking meter hoods?
 b) Standards for bicycle thoroughfare when blocking curb / bicycle lanes?
 c) Touch on the Bike Plan?
 
 - Also, there was a proposal for a pilot streetcar track pavement marking?  Has it been forgotten?

4) Introduction to TPS Parking Services regarding our plan to run a bike lane no-stopping campaign?

 - Ward 28 met local Parking Enforcement, with good results.  Antony has contacted Paul Moir.
 - Maybe some kind of fake 'tickets' campaign?  Yellow stickynotes?
 - Try to phrase it so it's as friendly and non-passive-aggressive as possible.  "Hope you don't get a $150 ticket..."
 - Would there be someone with good design skills / sense?  Spacing magazine?
 
 
5) Contra-flow campaign - Shaw, Argyle, and our proposed small connectors?

 - Bram (a great fellow, policy wonk) is working on the Provincial bike policy.  Some progress likely.
 - Unlikely to get re-designation options for 'woonerf' roads provincially anytime soon, though.
 
 - Palmerston worth surveying quickly to see if it's wide enough.
 
 - Argyle will need support, knocking door-to-door as "neighbors" (especially Portuguese-speaking).
 - Antony has contacted Ward 18 to work together. 
 - Will try to adapt Ward 32's contraflow 'talking points' list.
   - e.g. "You'll know where the bikers are, rather than them being all over the road"
 - To Do: Go to Ossington Community Association, TBCA, Beaconsfield, Gibbons Shaw meetings, chat it up.

6) Election 2014 - Anything Ward 19 Cycle Toronto could help with?
 - Contraflow lane door-to-doors!

Permalink

Group Info

Search by Address

E.g., 2976 Don Mills Rd W

Sign up or Log in