Hi Ward 19/20,
Five updates, two on tabling, one on CAMH, one on Metrolinx, one on a Thursday social.
Next meeting still September 8th. Also, be sure to go to Open Streets TO bright and early this Sunday (31st)!
1) We said "no" to the Fort York Common Ground festival Sep. 20th - Kevin could set up a table, but nobody had time to carry on and take down.
2) This Friday morning / evening rush hours, Cycle Solutions is running a tune up tent at the Martin Goodman Trail and Strachan (in part for the CNE traffic). We have an invitation to appear to hand out Minimum Grid swag. Anyone interested? 4:30-7:30pm. Email us at email@example.com
3) Two weeks ago the City consultation department organized a meeting between Cycle Toronto (Herb and I), the City Cycling department (Egan, Saikat), and the CAMH facilities director (Doug). We walked through the south-west corner of the CAMH campus and discussed better connecting the Adelaide cycle route to the West Toronto Railpath extension.
Outcome: CAMH initially opposed a through-campus south side cycling route (because of their 20-year site reconstruction master plan). After discussing it with the City, CAMH is more supportive, as long as we support them if they have to close/detour bicycle traffic for a few months at a time in the 2016-2018 range. However, we're waiting for followup on how much / quickly they can be persuaded to improve the through access.
Given this, I'm not sure how we should proceed - do we wait in the hope that the CAMH administration will act? Or do we continue to approach cycling-friendly doctors with a "Good news, this is happening" message?
4) I've been exchanging emails with Metrolinx about the (lousy) temporary arrangement on Strachan at the Liberty Village train tracks. The PR person has responded back with vague excuses, no committment to improve matters, and no timeline to complete the project. Frustrating. At least they need to remove the "CYCLISTS DISMOUNT" signage and replace with the "SINGLE FILE TRAFFIC, NO PASSING" sign used at the Dufferin bridge.
The councillor's office is a bit distracted (it being election season and the last meeting) so I'm not sure what to try next. Any suggestions?
5) I'll be at the HandleBar (in Kensington Market) Thursday for a meet and greet, representing a typical "ward captain". If you need to renew your membership, stop by to do the paperwork and you'll get a free beer!